Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-05-21, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So they both show up.  When I try to start the network, it says:
>>
>> ERROR: Interface enp3s0 does not exist.
> Are you sure the network interface name hasn't changed?  What does
> "ifconfig -a" or "ip addr" show?
>
> After booting up, what does "dmesg | grep enp" show?
>
>> Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware.
>>

>> I find that odd since it obviously sees the card.  It's in the list
>> above after all.  So, it sees the card but can't see it.  0_o  Odd.
> Identifying the presense of a PCI card and creating the device by
> which is is accessed are two different things.
>
>> I tried different slots for the SATA card and they all do the same
>> thing.  Wouldn't each slot have a different interrupt?
> No.  If cards are using legacy interrupts (most do) there are four
> interrupts (A,B,C,D) that are shared by all cards (just like there
> always were). Newer cards and motherboards can use something called
> MSI or MSI-X interrupts that aren't shared, but in my experience the
> use of those isn't very widespread.
>
>> It was at this point, I checked your suggestion.  I looked and noticed
>> that the network card was now at slot 4 not slot 3 like it used to be.
>> So, I created a new link to slot 4.  The network came up.  So,
>> basically, it changed names as you suggested. I thought the purpose of
>> the enp* names was that they are consistent.
> They are consistent through reboots.  They are not consistent if you
> change hardware.
>
>> Adding or removing cards wouldn't change the names of cards, like
>> network cards.
> Yes, it can.
>
>> It seems, in this case at least, the names can change.  Any way to
>> make adding the card not change this??  I tend to not have a monitor
>> or keyboard connected to this rig.
> If you want consisent network device names (even when you change
> hardware), you need to either
>
>  1. create udev rules that assign device names based on MAC addresses.
>
>  2. use a network configuration subsystem that assigns device names
>     and configurations based on MAC addresses.
>
> --
> Grant

Do you, or someone else, know of a good howto on how to use MAC
addresses like that?  Given this thing is usually remotely accessed, I
really need it to be consistent with or without the card.  Maybe you
have a bookmarked link saved somewhere.  I'm on openrc to.  I'll google
around but you, or someone else here, may have a really good and simple
howto link.

Well, learned something in the past couple days.  Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)