On 11/9/05, Robert Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I use to not worry about making the linux symlink in /usr/src point to my
> currently running kernel every time, but lately I've taken to redoing it
> each time I compile a new kernel, as I've found more and more that emerging
> programs look for a kernel symlink in /usr/src, and if it isn't there,
> emerge fails.

No _program_ should be looking at kernel sources.  If there is a
userspace program that fails to compile without a link to the current
kernel sources, you should file a bug report against it.

Only external kernel modules should require a link to the kernel
sources, and then only for the sources you want to build the module
against, not the currently running version.

-Richard