On 11/10/05, Greg Bur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Maybe the Nvidia drivers dont play well with threading and/or SMP?

That's my guess that this point.  If I get the inspiration tonight I'll try disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS and also recompiling the kernel without SMP support.  What has me beating my head against the wall so much is not the poor performance but the fact that one out of every 10 or 15 attempts the driver works as expected.  I suppose if something positive is to be made of this it is that I will be more reluctant to play any games because I will have to reboot into Windows.

Well I tried without hyperthreading and without SMP and the results only got worse.  Now I am beginning to look at how I compiled things such as glibc and xorg-x11.  I already ran the undo process for prelink and now I think I shall recompile glibc without nptl support to see if that makes any difference.  I am really treading water here but I have been forced to read up on my hardware a lot more.  I really wish I had taken better notes.