Rumen Yotov schreef:
> Hi, Recently (last two days) when running:"emerge -DNu world -ptv"
> receive the following: ... #emerge -DNu world -ptv
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done! [ebuild   R   ]
> mail-filter/maildrop-2.0.1  +berkdb -debug +fam* -gdbm -ldap -mysql
> -postgres 0 kB [ebuild   R   ] net-mail/courier-imap-4.0.1  +berkdb
> -debug +fam* -gdbm +ipv6 +nls (-selinux) 0 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB ... In first look nothing strange, only
> i don't have/use "fam" (use 'gamin' instead). More info,no fam in
> /etc/make.conf: "grep fam /etc/make.conf" > nothing. So must be some
> issue with "virtuals". In "maildrop-2.0.1.ebuild" there is the
> following: ... Now don't need to post this as a question, thing are
> clear. Gamin also provides "virtual/fam" although it's gamin not fam.
>  Just a confusion with "fam" USE-flag. Post this for info only.
> Thanks.

This happened to me yesterday, except with a twist. For a change, I did
an emerge -uaDNtv world instead of without a --newuse like normal, and I
got a block, because of emelfm2:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-misc/emelfm2-0.1.2  +fam* -gamin +nls -utf8only 0 kB
[1]

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage

Now, since I use gamin, fam wanted to install, and was (naturally)
blocked by gamin. Fortunately, emelfm2 has a 'gamin' USE flag, so I just
disabled fam and enabled gamin to clear the block.

Comparing this to your situation, it looks like 'fam' is a new USE flag,
enabled by default (since fam is installed by default). I don't really
have much of a problem with that-- except I misss the corresponding
'gamin' USE flag for the programs you are upgrading.

However, I also assume that these programs may not be able to use gamin,
or have not been updated to use a virtual/fam rather than fam itself.

Either way, I would be clued that these programs were out of date in
some respect, and would start checking their current status on the web
page: are they currently maintained? are there plans to enable gamin
support? If not, then I would check Bugzilla to see if a bug had been
filed to allow for virtual/fam instead of fam directly. If not, I would
copy the ebuilds to my overlay and modify them to take a virtual/fam,
and install those.

If they worked that way, I would submit the modified ebuilds to b.g.o.

My 2 eurocents (which we don't even have anymore),
Holly