Holly Bostick wrote:

Possibly because you don't have the 'insecure-drivers' USE flag enabled:

I had insecure-drivers enabled the first time I compiled xorg. I think I had disabled it in the subsequent compilations. I found an ebuild with VIA Unichrome USE flag and patches added; in the forums. I'll try that ebuild because it's been reported to have worked. I'll also make sure that I enable insecure-drivers this time! I'll know the results in about an hour and half... Hope it works.

Like most binary distros, the FC RPMs probably enable everything
'enableable'. I have no idea why the drivers are considered 'insecure',
but assuming they are (which would not surprise me), it's well within
the realm of possibility that they fall under the "you have to know what
you're doing and decide for yourself' section of the Gentoo design
philosopy (which is the major thrust of the Gentoo design philosopy, so
that doesn't surprise me either).

Why FC 4 would enable them and Gentoo would mark them as insecure....
well, heck-- FC4 uses GCC 4.0 *by default* as I understand it, and we
have it completely masked (and most other distros don't use it either,
afaik, certainly not by default yet). So since FC4 seems to want to live
even further out on the 'bleeding edge' than we are said to do, again,
I'm not surprised that the drivers would be enabled by default, no
matter their status in terms of security, completeness, or stability.

HTH,
Holly

Hmmm. Well, I love my Gentoo. I can always use the bleeding edge stuff with ~ keywords (As you would already know of course ;))! Anyway, I think Mandriva 2006 also uses GCC 4 by default now. It also comes with xorg 6.8.9*. I read on xorg.freedesktop.org that the new xorg release includes updates from the VIA Unichrome project. I looked into portage and yaay! The VIA drivers package is there.. Only, its -amd64. I am on AMD64. I'm wondering what to do.

If all fails, I'll have to buy an NVIDIA AGP card I guess. I love Gentoo too much to remove it just because of this graphics card issue. (Wise choice spending money on an FX5200 just to have Gentoo running??? Well, I can always install UT and say to myself, YES! Wise choice indeed :P )

Regards,
Mrugesh