On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:51:12 -0500
Willie Wong wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:02:09AM +0600, El Nino wrote:
> > i have a 128kbps Internet connection to my home & now i want give
> > access to my college friends to it. (i already have two running
> > squid+firewall gentoo servers)
> >
> > I'm looking for wireless technology to do this. all friends are within 1km.
>
> A noble pursuit, but I doubt it could be done easily... AFAIK
> IEEE802.11 is mostly reliable only for clients within 100 meters.
> Unless you live on the top of a hill with wide open space all around
> you for kilometers, I doubt you'd get coverage all the way out of 1
> kilometer. And if someone happened to be using wireless on neighboring
> frequency bands to the one you are using, and if that someone happened
> to be physically closer to your friend than you are, there's almost no
> hope in establishing a connection...

What bollocks. 802.11 is capable of 5 km at least with a decent card and
directional aerials. Directional aerials can be built from quite cheap
materials like woks and other asian food implements, or you can buy
commercial directional aerials.

examples:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/g.mckenzie/Radio%20Dish/Radio%20aerial.htm

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/