Antoine wrote:
Hi,
We are going to set up ssl on a webserver at work and I guess that means we need a certificate... does anyone have any useful alternatives to Verisign? Are they really worth the name? We are not going to be doing any monetary transactions but our clients are very security conscious (who isn't!) and I have no experience in these matters. I am certain the boss will want verisign, as he buys a lot of stuff just for the name but if I can offer him a comparable alternative at a fraction of the cost he may go for it.
Cheers
Antoine

I prefer Geotrust (http://www.geotrust.com/) to Verisign for third party signed certificates. Remember that your web server must be properly configured (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html) in order to offer any real security.

Best,
Dave