<SNIP>

I use Gentoo to run all my boxen and I love it.  That being said, I have
ALWAYS done a stage1 install.  Never had a single problem I couldn't fix.
Then, suddenly, they switched everything to stage3 and removed a LOT of
options from the Gentoo build process.  I LIKED being able to modify the
bootstrap script.  I LIKED editing the ebuilds for certain important system
packages during initial system build.  Why have they now decided to force us
to rebuild our systems if we want to tweak settings?  Now I must use a larger
hard disc for an install, as all ebuilds install userland binaries
to /usr/bin, even if I want to install to /usr/local/netshare/bin as a
network shared executable.  This a VERY inconvenient, since some system
packages (loggers, cron daemons) can be installed on a single server and
referenced from other boxen to reduce dependency on hard disk installs.  Just
a rant here, but Gentoo used to be about choices.  Now one of the biggest
choices in the Gentoo universe has been taken away from the user.  Is Gentoo
becoming just another canned off-the-shelf *nix distro?

Joshua Armstrong
[EMAIL PROTECTED]