On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Richard Fish wrote:

> Hmm, do you RC_DEVICE_TARBALL set in /etc/conf.d/rc?  That would cause
> something like this, and I recommend setting it to "no" for a pure
> udev setup.

Yes, it was there since the time it was recommended. I changed it and
rebooted. The memstick nodes are OK (no links) but still no sign of the
external disk. Turning the case switch off and on doesn't bring any
change...
> > Understandable,
> > since the stick is not plugged. I plugged it and still no nodes.  I
> > unmounted the external disk and /dev/external_hd /dev/external_hd1 are
> > gone! And /dev/plextor_memstick & /dev/plextor_memstick1 didn't came
> > back.
>
> Your USB bus is really not working right!  Are these devices connected
> directly to ports on the PC, or going through a hub?  If there is a
> hub, maybe it is broken...

No hub. I changed the usb port the case is connected to and no change...
I substituted the USB connection by a firewire one. No change...(the
rule starts with BUS=="scsi", so it should be detected).

Jorge