I still think you need to partition the new drive first, then
dd the individual partitions.

Addresses within partitions are normally handled as sector offsets, but
booting and locating the start/extent of partitions don't always.

The fdisk format on PCs is ancient and predates SCSI (and IDE drives that
pretend to be SCSI). It encodes addresses in terms of sector/head/cylinder,
as well as storing block offset information.

Unless the old and new drives are identical geometry (for example,
the same make and model) then any code that tries to use physical
addressing based on geometry is going to screw up if the fdisk table
does not match the drive...

Regards,
DigbyT

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com