On 11/18/05, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the response,
> cat /dev/mice - no such file
> cat /dev/input/mice and dev/input/mouse0 work but it is my ps2 mouse not the
> new usb one.
> Where do I find a list of protocols to try?

With /dev/input/mice, you do not need to try extra protocols.

/dev/input/mouseX corresponds to a specific mouse...if both PS/2 and
USB mice are seen by the kernel, you should have both mouse0 and
mouse1 devices.  With these specific devices, you need the right
protocol.

/dev/input/mice is the kernel mouse multi-plexor.  All mice that are
recognized by the kernel can be read there, with the same protocol, so
"Auto" or "ExplorerPS/2" are both fine.

What specific kernel options did you enable for the USB mouse?   The
best one is CONFIG_USB_HID with CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT:

Device Drivers  --->
  USB support  --->
    <M>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
      [*]     HID input layer support

If you have these, post the relevent lines from dmesg after plugging
in the mouse.

-Richard