Alle 01:22, sabato 19 novembre 2005, Mark Knecht el ga butta:
> |Hi,
> |   What are my options? This mysql thing has been hanging out for a
> |long time. I was scared off by two things:
> |
> |1) I run MythTV which uses mysql. I have a database on my server
> | (this machine) that I'm worried about losing or messing up.

Backup as described in
"http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrading.xml";
replace "revdep-rebuild" with
"revdep-rebuild --soname=libmysqlclient.so.12"

grep the ebuild for "einfo" or follow them during emerge

> |2) I *think* that if I update this server then I have to update all
> | of my MythTV frontend boxes also as I've heard that Myth required
> | both the frontend and the backend to run the same versions.

Maybe the following options (put them in my.cnf of the server) help

#Use old password encryption method (needed for 4.0 and
#older clients).
old-passwords

#Disallow authentication for accounts that have old
# (pre-4.1) passwords.
secure-auth

Don't switch collation and charachter set to utf8

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-399371-highlight-mysql.html

> |   Does anyone have direct experience with this? I'm sort of worried
> |about creating problems that take days (or longer) to fix.

Sorry not me
[...]

A bit too short answer but it's very late in the morning here ...
good night