Some thoughts:

I recently did a stage 1 install and found that the process seems to
have deteriorated to the point it was more work than it should have been
- hence I see some of the reasons for abandoning it.  In particular, the
recompiling needed to bring it to a GCC 3.4.4 with all the options I
needed meant that a stage 1 gained me nothing, and I lost quite a bit of
time.

The majority of systems I have recently installed have been tar over ssh
from a running system (usually a LiveCD - I have P3/P4 and athlon - just
choose the appropriate base).  A small install can be up and running in
less than 30 mins (IF you already have a running system!) - and its
mostly preconfigured which is where I find I spend most of *MY* time.
Only downside I have come across is cruft, but that can be managed.

I consider this as the equivalent of a targeted (for my purposes)
customised super stage3 install.

With todays large hard disks, I also put aside a 4G reiserfs partition
that contains a minimal install (inc a tailess /boot) to keep me working
(i.e., the gateway has a basic webserver, squid, nat setup, mail
server, ..., the desktop has fluxbox, OO and evolution - my main work
tools and so on. Maintenance is done in a chroot, with an occasional
test when scheduled with major kernel upgrades.  If in fiddling, I have
a disaster, I can keep working while rebuilding.  If more than one
physical HD is present, grub is installed in each MBR - many modern MB's
allow you to choose which HD to boot from - quite handy! Worst comes to
worst, a few minutes with tar and I have a basic, but fully configured
base to start the recovery process back to the original system.

I have found the 4G partition very handy when the raid array broke (disk
failure - the 4G was in an unaffected area of the disk - non-raided, so
was easily rescued), software problems (bad kernel upgrades) and just
having the peace of mind that I can keep working through most disasters.
I would highly recommend that this be a standard part of the install for
critical systems (e.g., SOHO gateways), and especially for those who
have only a single system to work with.

With a little planning, it is possible to have an install once, and
multiply/upgrade forever maintenance process - this is one of gentoo's
current strengths.

BillK