On 11/23/05, Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, if I leave the controller enabled in BIOS then the PC
> will attempt to boot from it, and not from the built-in RAID array on
> which the operating-system is installed... thus I get a "non-sytem disk
> or disk error". The CD drive is on an internal EIDE controller which I
> can boot from whether the Highpoint is enabled or not. The system
> itself is a 5 year-old Compaq Proliant server which was never intended
> to have an EIDE hard-drives alongside its SCSI array, so I seem to be
> unable to tell it to boot from the array rather than the Highpoint.
>
> I believe I may be able to install GRUB on the boot sector of the EIDE
> drive & point that at the /boot partition on the RAID array, but I
> thought I'd check in here first. Is there any way to get the kernel to
> choose an IRQ for the HPT302? I thought this was what plug & play
> operating systems were about. Can the kernel be invoked with an append
> which will assign it the IRQ11 recognised by the LiveCD?  I've tried
> furtling with the interrupts of the various controllers, but it's not a
> very intuitive interface on this machine - might I be able to change
> the boot order this way?

My guess is that mucking with interrupts is not going to help.  There
is usually an option to affect the boot order, typically named
something like "Boot Off-Board controllers first".  If you can give
the model number of the server, we can probably lookup the BIOS manual
online and maybe give better advice.

It should also be possible to write a boot sector to the IDE disk that
will boot from the SCSI disk.  If your /boot partition is /dev/sda1,
something like this might work:

#echo "(hd0) /dev/hda" >/boot/grub/device.map.ide
#echo "(hd1) /dev/sda" >>/boot/grub/device.map.ide
# grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map.ide
grub> setup (hd0) (hd1,1)
grub> quit

But, fair warning, I've never tried this, so I'm not sure how well it will work.

-Richard