On 2005-11-23 23:07:49 -0600 (Wed, Nov), Paul Varner wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 23:34 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Paul Varner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > It appears here that the symbols themselves must be quoted as well as
> > the package like this:
> >
> >       equery files --type ">=vim-6.2"
> >

> Which is what I meant to convey with the error message. What about this
> one?
>
> $ ./equery files --type vim-6.4
> [ Searching for packages matching vim-6.4... ]
> !!! Invalid syntax: missing operator
> !!! If you want only specific versions please use one of
> !!! the following operators as prefix for the package name:
> !!!    >  >=  =  <=  <
> !!! Example to only match gcc versions greater or equal 3.2:
> !!!    >=sys-devel/gcc-3.2
> !!!
> !!! Note: The symbols > and < are used for redirection in the shell
> !!! You must enclose the entire argument in quotation marks, if either
> !!! of these characters are used

Not precise enough. You need to enclose only those characters, like:
      equery files --type ">"=vim-6.2
or you may use backslash, like:
      equery files --type \>=vim-6.2

Saying that you MUST enclose the entire argument would misguide those
who do not understand quoting mechanisms yet. You would be responsible
for their mistakes forever! ;-)

Some man pages (eq. man tcpdump) use a sentence like 'these characters
are usually special to the shell and must be quoted'. Here you need to
write only '...are used for redirection in the shell and should be
quoted.'
It's like a gentle, polite reminder that assumes that the reader is good
being and usually knows everything about quoting.