I've installed bacula from portage ( bacula-1.36.3-r2.ebuild) and
found virtually no documentation with it other than one thin README
and some release notes. Its not as if the documentaion is not
available.  There is quite a large manual for it.

But worse is that the gentoo install has removed things so that even
the available manual doesn't work for a gentoo user.

For example:
In the online manual: http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Contents.html

In the section on `Running a job' a gentoo user will not get the right
results because the bacula developers have expected there to be some
of the install of bacula files available for testing.

Bacula goes looking for them in /var/tmp/**bacula* and of course they
are long gone.

So a gentoo user will end up with nothing backed up and wondering what
they did wrong.  Especially if they don't notice the give away
address, and it isn't that obvious because `bconsole' output is pretty
primitive and it will not be on the screen long.

It also means the restore part is a non starter too since nothing got
backed up.

Apparently someone maybe me needs to go thru the bacula ebuilds and
make them a little more like what bacula devel people expect. Or fix
it so it works for us.