Holly Bostick wrote:

This sounds great, but what about the kernel I'm booted into, against
which the module will *not* be compiled, if I have to reboot before
actually configuring/compiling/installing the new kernel?

You can get pretty close to your desired behavior (merge kernel last) if you
simple mask kernel package versions greater than the one that is currently
installed.

mkdir -p /etc/portage
echo ">sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r2" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

That way, portage will not attempt to upgrade it until you tell it that you are
ready, by removing the mask.  And yeah, if USE=symlink causes problems, don't
use it (in my suggested scenario above it might be useful though).

Zac