On 11/28/05, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>    My wife ran into a problem this evening that required I do a
> reboot. She runs Gnome. Sometimes something about her setup goes
> haywire and she loses all her desktop icons and her wallpaper. In the
> past I've found that if we log her out and then in the console kill
> all processes left running with her account as the owner that she can
> then log back in and use Gnome correctly.
>
>    This evening one of these processes was unkillable. I tried
>
> kill -15 PID
> kill -9 PID
> killall -9 process_name
>
> but none worked. To make forward progress I just rebooted.
>
>    Is there some other way I could have tried killing this process?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The times this has happened to my I used htop to send a SIGSEGV to
make the program think it segfaulted and that caused the program to
die. Its probably a horribly sloppy hack but it has worked for me in
the past.

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.