Dale wrote:
Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

O3 makes binaries much, much bigger. Bigger binaries need more cache&load time. So bigger binaries are slower a lot of time. -fomit-frame-pointer is fine, fmpgmath=sse may or may not make your apps slower or faster. msse, mmmx, m3dnow are (mostly) harmless.

Should I change the -O3 to something else?  I have another rig that may
need smaller binaries.  The drive is full.  This may help on it too.

What you think?

Dale
:-)

Personally I stick to -O2 since -O3 usually won't do much in reality. -O3 takes longer to compile, and there is very little or no gain at all (and sometimes the gain is negative).

If space is the most important issue you might want to compile for smallest possible binary, e.g. -Os

-Kristian Poul Herkild