Walter Dnes wrote:

> <snip>
>

>  That's just 1 app.  I'm sure there are others that would experience
>similar breakage.  If you "emerge --pretend --emptytree --world" and an
>old version listed for deletion by --prune does *NOT* show up, you'll
>probably be safe removing it.  Maybe "emerge --pretend --prune" needs to
>run "emerge --pretend --emptytree --world" by default, and use its
>output as a sanity-check before recommending deletions.

Just for the record, I do that command but I then remove each app one by
one by it's name.  I do NOT just remove the -p option and go take a
nap.  I trust portage a lot but I also know that some things need more
than one version, automake and autoconf being a couple of them but there
are more like that.

To be honest, if they removed that -p option. I would switch from
Gentoo.  Portage is great but I want to test the water before I jump in
and find out it is freezing cold or scalding hot.

What I wound up doing is removing some temp files, /var/tmp/portage/*,
that gave me enough space to carry on a little longer.  I'm trying to
get my 30GB hard drive back that I loaned out.  I'll have plenty of
space then.  I may end up getting a new 120GB or 160GB drive for this
rig though.  I need one that is big but cheap.  I recently got me a new
digital camera and a girlfriend.  I'm not sure how long my 2 80GB drives
will last in my main rig.

Also note to clear up confision.  I have four rigs here.  All run
folding and one is a desktop, rest are servers.  I may put that in my sig.

Thanks for pointing that out though.  That would not be a good idea to
run that blindly.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.