Harry Putnam wrote:

>Bill Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>>Try disconnecting the atapi cdrw temporarily. Can fdisk see it then??
>>

>I had tried that too.  And no it didn't make a difference.  I can't
>post dmesg from that since something worse has happened.  Spelled out
>in thread:
>  Subject:  Yikes,  what have I done  3 1 seconds beeps on boot
>
>So I'll need to get that figured out before retrying the new drive.

I ran into this on one of my drives once, sometimes it wants a jumper
and sometimes it does not.  If I recall correctly, it does NOT want a
jumper if it is alone on the channel but does if it has a second drive
on the channel, or cable, whatever you want to call it.  It drives me
nuts because it is not really clear on the legend for the jumpers.  It
is a Western Digital drive and I hate that thing.  My Maxtor doesn't
seem to care.

Just something to think about, maybe check.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.

I have four rigs:

1:  Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two
80GB hard drives.
2:  Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
3:  Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB
drive.
4:  Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB
SCSI drive.

All run Gentoo, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as
servers.