Double-answering ;)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Try to execute the command
# NVmakedevices.sh
before starting X
it works for me,cause the ebuild did not make the files in /dev.

Bert Berrevoets

Woot :p ... I did that and it worked partly. Now I'm getting this instead:

glxgears: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Bryan Green wrote:

> You may have problems getting AGPGART to compile as a module, and my
> experience has been that its just as well to use the kernel's AGPGART for
> recent kernels.
>

> There are several places you should be looking.
> First of all, be sure and read the NVIDIA driver README, particularly the
> Troubleshooting section.  Get familiar with /proc/drivers/nvidia
>
> grep for NVIDIA in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  See anything interesting?
> try dmesg and see if it says anything about agpgart.
>
> By the way, did you emerge nvidia-glx?
>
> -bryan

I had no problems compiling agpgart as a module and it loaded perfectly during bootup.

dmesg shows nothing peculiar. I'm only a bit sorry about the "tainted" message, but that can't be any different, as long as NVidia ships with such a license.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log however shows this:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

That's a tad weird considering I did an emerge nvidia-glx but perhaps I have to do something different when I'm using non-portage nvidia drivers?

-Kristian Poul Herkild