[Timothy A. Holmes]

James -- thanks so much for your help and ideas -- they all sound like
excellent suggestions -- I will comment on each one below

1.  Thankfully -- I am actually going to be installing on a totally new
hdd, so the backup issue is not really there, the drives will become
interchangeable, and once the linux one is fully working, the original
one will be reformatted as a windows drive for the rare case that the
box would need it

2. Those sound good -- ive never messed with them, I'm assuming that all
of them have appropriate man pages?

3. On this one - the kernel is the default one packaged with Ubuntu, I
have done updates out of synaptic, but have not configured it at all.  I
don't know how to get a config file for it -- can you point me to a
reference, or give me some instructions

4. sounds good -- again thankfully -- it's a drive swap rather than an
overwrite

5. Definatly will do

6. Also sounds good

7. How do I do this???

Thanks again to you and all who have commented, Please keep those
comments coming -- im loving this

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11