> OH God !!!

 :) ?

> Haven't updated Gentoo in a year ?????????? Wow... I think first
> thing you should do is to update portage.

Portage is updated, I even synced the local tree.

I didn't say I didn't update anything during this year, but I only
updated the packages I was interested in (mainly packages for audio
work). It was a year without struggling with updated config files or
any other unconvenient issues :-) .

Anyway, most packages are up to date now. I still have installed kde
3.3, and I plan to update it to 3.5 as soon as it is marked as stable.

Unfortunately, kdebase depends on libusb, and even CUPS has been updated
and I cannot use my USB printer because CUPS complains about
"Unable to open USB device "usb://hp/deskjet%205550": No such device"
though I don't know if this is a problem of updating CUPS or with
libusb.

Best regards

    ce