> > I'm a bit confused.  udev does emerge hotplug-base as a dependency.
> > But as far as hotplug itself, this document:
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
> >
> > says:
> >
> > "You do not need to install hotplug unless you want your modules
> > automatically loaded when you plug devices in. hotplug also handles
> > the automated bringup of network devices and firmware downloading."
> >

> Yes, this is the purpose of hotplug. I use it on my laptop to
> automatically load my wlan driver when I turn on my usb wireless chip
> and then automatically start net.wlan0.

So udev's "hotplug-base" dependency isn't sufficient for this, and
hotplug itself must be emerged separately?

> > and about coldplug:
> >
> > "If you want modules loaded for devices that have been plugged in
> > before you boot, use the coldplug package.  Don't forget to add
> > coldplug to the boot runlevel."
> >

> coldplug is one useful if you have tons of modules installed and don't
> know what you need. Otherwise you can just use
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Ok, so if I emerge coldplug and start the daemon at boot I can 'rm -rf
/etc/modules.autoload.d' and all of the necessary modules will still
be loaded?

> > I'm just trying to figure out what I need for my laptop and for my
> > server.  I'd rather not have useless stuff on my systems, but I don't
> > want anything to break either.  Also, should hotplug be added to the
> > default runlevel?  The doc doesn't mention it although it does say to
> > add coldplug to the boot runlevel.
> >

> hotplug is not a service that you can start and coldplug is up to you.

Are you sure about that?

system4 ~ # rc-update show | grep hotplug
             hotplug |

Also, I noticed net.ath0 doesn't display any output about connecting
to the wireless AP during bootup with hotplug and coldplug emerged.  I
did like seeing if it was able to connect each time.  Is that
hotplug's doing?

- Grant