Drew Tomlinson wrote:

On 12/10/2005 1:17 PM Stroller wrote:

On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:08 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4 chipset.
There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
controller built in to the motherboard.
I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for sdb. I can not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each drive
individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.

I'm no expert on this, but I believe that many ATA "hardware" RAID arrangements in fact just use their Windoze drivers to do software RAID. I'd do some research via Googling the chipset &/or board's model number if I were you.

I haven't found anything yet but then I haven't looked real hard. However I suspect this does not rely on any Windows drivers as the controller is managed long before Windows boots. Just after POST and before the OS starts, a brief message showing the controller is displayed. By pressing F10, I can manage my stripe. Much like I see most SCSI cards.

Stroller is right on this one. Most built-in motherboard 'RAID chips' and inexpensive RAID cards are simply software RAID with a BIOS front end that can be used to create/manage RAID volumes composed of attached disks. The firmware for these RAID chips/cards simply scans each disk for its proprietery RAID metadata, and presents any found volumes as a drive to the BIOS. They also often detect problems with the arrays (missing components, etc) and present the user with boot time options to deal with these situations (boot in degraded mode, replace missing component and sync, etc). But the actual block-by-block RAID operations (writing mirror blocks, computing/reading/writing parity data, degraded operation, etc) are done in a device driver under the OS, once booted. The CPU is doing all the RAID heavy lifting with these arrangements. I see these sorts of RAID solutions as merely glorified IDE or SATA controllers with some advanced firmware in front of them.

True hardware RAID do these block-by-block operations on a dedicated controller, often with some sort of NVRAM write-behind/read-ahead cache between the OS and the volume, which can survive sudden power loss/crashes, etc. The RAID volumes presented to the boot time environment and OS look like regular drives. The RAID controller hardware does the RAID heavy-lifting (parity computation, re-syncs, etc), offloading them from the CPU. Obviously these hardware RAID solutions are more sophisticated than the cheap software RAID arrangements, which is why presently, you won't find one for less than about $400 (USD), where you can find the software RAID cards for < $100 (USD).

Both types seem to present a similar user interface to the user, which is cause for confusion. Also, the vendors of the cheap RAID solutions don't go out of their way to inform the customers of the differences between their stuff and the hardware RAID solutions, of course, which is more cause for confusion. :-)

Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix to see the two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I can't recover the data from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself shortly
after logon.

If my guess is correct then the best thing might be to install Windows on a spare drive & boot from that to see the RAID as one. You might try booting with a Windows CD & see if the RAID is recognised as a single partition... if you get the option to do a repair install you _should_ be able to get an at-least-mostly-working Windows install & all your data intact. Recover the data to a portable drive & format.

Thanks. I tried an overlay install again and things seem to be going well. Copying data now.

Thanks for your ideas!

Drew

As mentioned by another poster in this thread, there is also the somewhat too generically named 'dmraid'. (When I first stumbled across this, I thought it was some LVM2 native replacement for the good 'ole Linux RAID [md] devices. I personally think it should be given a more specific name like 'metaraid' or 'omniraid' or soemthing like that, but I digress).
You may have been able to use this to mount your striped volume.

From my admittedly brief reading, dmraid appears to be a metadata agnostic device mapper based software RAID driver. That is, it can understand and operate RAID volumes created using many vendors' software RAID chips and cards and their proprietary metadata formats by itself, without the need to install drivers from individual vendors. Pretty cool!

However, the userspace tools for dmraid are presently keyword masked in gentoo, and the somewhat sparse documentation for dmaid seems to indicate that it's not quite ready for prime time yet. Looks interesting though.

|         Jim Burwell - Sr. Systems/Network/Security Engineer, JSBC         |
| "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." - Mark Twain   |
| "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because |
|  that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn  |
| "Cool is only three letters away from Fool" - Mike Muir, Suicyco          |
| "..Government in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst     |
|  state an intolerable one.." - Thomas Paine, "Common Sense" (1776)        |