"Steve [Gentoo]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've recently experienced a bizarre failure... and I wondered if
> anyone else has experienced something similar or has a suggestion to
> avoid a similar annoyance in future.

Sorry I can't offer a diffinative answer but a maybe a possible
solution to keep working until someone more knowledgeable steps in.

I've run fetchmail for several years without incident (related to
fetchmail) also at fetchmail-6.2.5.2 as of a few days ago.

However I suspect your problem maybe related to running fetchmail in
daemon mode rather than from cron.  I cannot suggest any good reason
why I say that other than I've never experienced any problems but I
always run from cron.

Maybe if you took `set daemon 60' out of .fetchmailrc and ran it from
cron?