On Monday 12 December 2005 11:23, a tiny voice compelled Ernie Schroder to
write:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 11:13, a tiny voice compelled Neil Bothwick to
>
> write:
> > >
> > > So, if I understand what you're saying, using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the
> > > command line, brings in all dependant packages regardless of they're
> > > being needed for the app being merged. Somehow I don't think that's the
> > > way it should be
> >
> > Why not? By setting the variable on the command, you have made it global,
> > although temporarily, so it does not only apply to kde. When you emerge
> > a package, portage checks its dependencies too, and they were out of date
> > according to your settings at the time.
> >
> > Setting this on the command line is even more wide-ranging than putting
> > it in /etc/make.conf, because it overrides anything
> > in /etc/portage/package.keywords too.
>
> Thanks Neil. I'm nearly clear on this now. A bit more pondering and I'll
> fully grasp the logic. I do appreciate your patience.
>
> So far so good with the downgrades.
> --
> Regards, Ernie
> 100% Microsoft and Intel free
>
>  11:20:16 up 2 days,  2:43,  4 users,  load average: 2.34, 2.41, 1.69
> Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+

The downgrades went pretty well. They broke mplayer and I suppose anything
else that uses libdirectfb, but Remerging mplayer has fixed that. No more odd
behaviour from Portage. Thanks all.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 09:41:45 up 3 days,  1:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.32, 0.57
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+