Daevid Vincent schreef:

Y'know, it's a bit early in my morning for so much whine, so that's
probably why I'm a bit testy....

>>> He should have been here when I installed Gentoo on a
>>
>> 200Mhz machine.
>>
>> He should have watched me compiling Apache, PHP, MySQL and a lot of
>>  other packages on my Pentium 100 with 48MB of RAM
>
> Yeah yeah yeah... Great ol' glory days... Guess what... It's not the
> 80's anymore. CPUs are fast, but the programs are still monolithic
> and take days to compile.

No, in fact they are *not* monolithic any more, that is the entire point
of the split ebuilds and modular X.

> Ya'll that like to waste your time compiling can keep on doing that,
> while the rest of us would like to get some work done.

Those of us that like to "waste our time compiling" actually do it in
such a way that we *can* "get some work done" while the compile is
progressing... maybe I'm missing your point, or maybe your work requires
the "big builds" in some way (meaning X mostly, since KDE is by no means
a requirement to get something done).

> The thing that's frustrating me right now, is that I just installed
> KDE 3.5 the other day, then upgraded to the new GCC. After a revdep,
> it apparently has broken all my libc something or other and so I'm
> once again re-compiling KDE to fix that! ...joy, only 176 packages to
> go... :-\

Are you logged in all this time? If so, what's the problem?

> And for you all that want to say -- "switch Distros", your logic is
> flawed. Just because I don't want to waste 3 days or more compiling
> KDE on a 2Ghz/640MB notebook, doesn't mean I don't want the other
> benefits of Gentoo,

Fine, you want the "benefits" without the price-- now for myself, I
consider the ability to customize my KDE install (in my case to the
absolute minimum necessary) to be a benefit, but apparently you don't.

So check out http://desktop.vidalinux.com/ , supposedly they have a club
(that you must pay to be a member of) that provides binary packages.
Maybe you'll find that price more acceptable for your needs.

Unfortunately the site is down due to mobo failure atm, but hth anyway.

Holly