On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:37:06 -0800, Jessica Rasku wrote:

> I have tried this twice.  Once changing the ebuild in
> /var/db/pkg/net-mail/

Don't touch the ebuilds in /var/db/pkg, these are the ebuilds used to
uninstall packages, it is a copy of the ebuild used to install the
existing version, so altering it could have strange effects. The ebuilds
use to install packages are in /usr/portage. you can edit these, but they
will be reset after an emerge --sync.

> then I created a /root/portage-overlay/ and tried
> to do it that way.

Putting an overlay directory in /root seems like a bad idea. The portage
user won't be able to access it. The standard location
is /usr/local/portage, copy the directory for the package you are dealing
with to an identical location in here,
e.g. /usr/local/portage/net-mail/mailman, before editing the ebuild.

--
Neil Bothwick

Run with scissors. Remove mattress tags. Top post. Be a rebel.