On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:06:45 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm about to run an update world following a sync and I noitce that
> cvs is one of the packages involved.  I couldn't remember how to make
> emerge use a specific ./configure flag.  Not sure I ever really
> understood that whole business anyway, although Holly and others have
> attempted to explain it to me.
>
> I wanted to use `./configure --enable-rootcommit' (or similar) since
> this is a single user machine.

EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-rootcommit" emerge cvs

usually works, although not all ebuilds respect $EXTRA_ECONF.

> It didn't seem worth learning to build my own ebuild so I built it
> from tar.gz and installed on /usr/local.  Then unmerged the existing
> cvs installation.  Now as I recall there is some syntax that needs to go
> into one of the possible files under /etc/portage to cause future
> emerges like the upcoming update to ignore cvs, but I've forgotten
> it.

The file you need is /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, it is
documented in the portage manpage.

echo "dev-util/cvs-x.y.z" >>/etc/portage/profile/package.provided

should do it, where x.y.z is the version you have installed.

--
Neil Bothwick

Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life