On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 14:04 +0900, Chris White wrote:
> On Thursday 15 December 2005 13:51, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > 3. with a video file recorded from my digital still camera[1], I can't
> > fast forward or re-wind (on the device).  Is this a "feature" of AVI, or
> > probably of the device?  (Apparently mplayer can do it because it
> > creates some sort of sudo-index?)
>
> seeking is not what a video camera is made for.  The type of compression
> you're dealing with:
>
> > [1]
> > $ file *AVI
> > CIMG1957.AVI: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x 240, ~15 fps, video:
> > Motion JPEG
>
> Is motion jpeg
[snip]

I was referring to seeking on the media player, not the digital camera.
I haven't got a process yet for converting other files to the media
player, so I don't know if the media player can't seek, or if MJPEG
isn't suited to seeking, or both.

thanks,

No group of professionals meets except to conspire against the public at large.
                -- Mark Twain