just 'rm -rf'ing the source dirs gets rid of the files, true, but not formally unmerging packages desynchronizes the package management system, which will think you still have the older versions installed. In practice, I don't think it causes any real problems (maybe it will make emerge(1) take a little longer when calculating dependencies...), but it will allow cruft to build in your system, and with it, possible troubleshooting difficulties.

--myk

Samir Faci wrote:
is there an advantage to doing that as opposed to rm -fr /usr/src/linux-2.6.12-r10 (or whatever the dir is called)? Just curious, I always just used the rm -fr

Myk Taylor wrote:
emerge -C gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r10
or
emerge -C =gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r10

-C is short for --unmerge

C. Beamer wrote:
I would like to remove the oldest one - specifically linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10