On 12/18/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:29:41 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > > So what I want to do is give my computer a complete clean-out.  What I
> > > really CAN'T be bothered doing is a complete format and re-install!
>
> There are some major advantages to not re-installing. One is that all
> your settings remain untouched, whereas a reinstall requires you to
> reconfigure everything.
>
> A more important difference is that the computer cannot be used for
> anything else during reinstallation, whereas a clean up is performed on
> a running system. It is also a lot less work that a reinstallation,
> especially if you do it regularly. All you really need to do is clean
> the world file of any cruft, emerge depclean && revdep-rebuild and run
> the script to clean orphaned files from /etc.

I recently had a similar issue. I seriously b0rked my box by upgrading
gcc, neglecting to read the upgrade guide, and pruning the old gcc
thus breaking just about EVERYTHING.

What I did was recover to a semi-usable state, create a chrooted
environment on my disk, unpacked a stage and did a complete
re-install, the whole time I was using the computer for some
programming work. When all the builds completed I just tarred up the
old / partition and the new one from my build environment, booted a
livecd and unpacked the new / over the old one, no format involved. It
was a major pain in the butt that I hope to never repeat but it gave
me a new system while still letting me use my old system.

Still, if all you want to do is clean up cruft there are far better
ways than re-installing your whole system. That's something windoze
users do ;-)

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.