On Sunday 18 December 2005 08:35, a tiny voice compelled Ernie Schroder to
write:
> On Sunday 18 December 2005 00:42, a tiny voice compelled Richard Fish to
>
> write:
> > >
> > > Apparently it has the wrong permissions, or so says the message when I
> > > start KDE,but if I reset them, next boot they are changed. Either
> > > resetting permissions, or doing # udevstart allows me to use /dev/dsp
> > > as user but changes don't survive a reboot.
> >
> > Hmm, /dev/dsp is only necessary for legacy OSS support...it should not
> > be necessary with KDE, which _should_ be able to use the ALSA
> > interface.  Do you have the alsa USE flag set?
>
> Hmm, no
>
> IIRC, when I first installed on this box, I had to go with oss (nforce2
> mobo w/onboard sound).
>
> > What are the permissions that it is being created with?  (Do "ls -l
> > /dev/dsp" from a console after startup without logging into KDE).
(loged into kde but I have not done # udevstart as of yet):

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Dec 18 03:45 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp

After doing # udevstart:
$ sudo udevstart
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ls -l /dev/dsp
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Dec 18 09:02 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp

Looks the same to me, but I seem to have permissions for /dev/dsp Saytime
works now, it didn't give me audio befor udevstart. Look at the times wierd
huh?
Now, before logging into KDE:
lrwxrwxrwx Time is still odd

> > > Yes.
> >
> > I would suggest turning TARBALL off.  It is almost certainly not needed
> > today.
>
> Turned it off. Let's see

Not a good idea there. A device node for my nvidia graphics card was not
created. I edited xorg.conf, changing driver from nvidia to "nv" just to get
X up and running
Gotta recreate them. I guess. OK created the nvidia devices like so:

mknod -m 660 /dev/nvidia0 c 195 0
mknod -m 660 /dev/nvidia1 c 195 1
mknod -m 660 /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255
And changed back to TARBALL="on"
Let's see
 changed back to "nvidia" and rebooted. X working properly.

> > One possibility is that the device is comfing from the tarball, but
> > not being recreated by udev for some reason.  You can check this with:
> >
> > tar -tjvf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2
>
> $ sudo tar -tjvf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2 | grep dsp
> crw------- root/audio    14,19 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp1
> crw------- root/audio    14,35 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp2
> crw------- root/audio    14,51 2004-02-19 04:28:48 dsp3
>
> > Also, what messages do you get on bootup between "Starting udevd" and
> > "Mounting /dev/pts..."
>
> Can't see Starting udevd is dmesg or kern.log.0 will try to catch it next
> boot

I don't see "Starting udevd" but I do see:
Configuring System to use udev
setting /sbin/udevsend as hotplug agent
mounting devpts at /dev/pts....

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 08:53:27 up 7 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.43, 0.18
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+