maxim wexler schreef:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ grep FAT /usr/src/linux/.config #
> CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL is not set # DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
> CONFIG_FAT_FS=y CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
> CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
>

> reflex pindar # mount -t fat32 /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
> filesystem type 'fat32'
>
> reflex pindar # mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
> filesystem type 'vfat'
>
> reflex pindar # mount -t auto  /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown
> filesystem type 'vfat'
>
> reflex pindar # mount   /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 mount: unknown filesystem
>  type 'vfat'

Now, what I notice about this is the "unknown file system".

Since you have the vfat module compiled into the kernel, it seems to me
that this can only mean that the module is not loaded (as it might not
be if a FAT32 filesystem did not need to be mounted at boot, because it
was not detected, and/or the partition is not set to autoload at boot
via /etc/fstab, and/or the module is not set to autoload at boot via
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.*).

What happens if you modprobe vfat before attempting to mount?

If this works, at least you know what the problem is (and that it's not
that the filesystem just *says* it's FAT32 but actually isn't, which is
another possible cause of such an issue-- I've had that happen to me,
just not with fat32). If it's just that the module needs to be loaded,
then put it in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.*, so you don't have to
worry about it anymore.

If you get an error when attempting to modprobe, or after modprobing
mounting still returns an error, then we've at least got more
information (in the case of an error), or eliminated one possible cause
(if mounting still fails after successfully modprobing the module).

HTH,
Holly