John Jolet schreef:

> On Dec 18, 2005, at 8:58 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> 1) java-config.
>>

>> OK. Thanks Holly. But if I'm going to set the VM to be the jdk,
>> then why install the jre? I guess I have no clue about the
>> difference between the jre and the jdk or why both are needed or
>> what each one does. I can say that installing the jdk broke one
>> aspect of the sun jre. Bummer for me.
>>
> this has always confused me...if you install the jdk, in the path
> with the jdk (/usr/local/java for instance), there's a jre
> directory...you have /usr/local/java/bin/java and
> /usr/local/java/jre/ bin/java.....both.  so you don't need to install
>  both.  the jdk is INCLUSIVE of the jre.

Not on my system (32-bit). If I try to use the Sun jre alone, I get the
same errors that Mark reported if I try to set it as the system VM;
using it as user VM seemed OK as I recall. Eventually I got tired of
having the system vm and the user vm being different (probably me being
anal rather than a real "issue"), and since using Sun 1.5.0.* as the
user VM hadn't seemed to cause any major issues, I attempted to make it
the system VM as well, at which point I got this stuff (this is Mark's,
but this was the same error I got):

 * Found no JDK, setting sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06 as default system VM
javac not found at /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/bin/javac or
/opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/jre/bin/javac
javadoc not found at /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/bin/javadoc or
/opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/jre/bin/javadoc
jar not found at /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/bin/jar or
/opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/jre/bin/jar
rmic not found at /opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/bin/rmic or
/opt/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.06/jre/bin/rmic
THIS SYSTEM VM IS NOT SUFFICIENT, REQUIRED BINARIES WERE NOT FOUND
System Virtual Machine set
You may want to update your enviroment by running:
        "/usr/sbin/env-update && source /etc/profile"

Unfortunately I don't remember what was actually in the /bin folder as I
have since uninstalled the jre and set both the user and system vm to
the sun jdk. But either java and jar really weren't there, or they were
and java-config couldn't find them, and in either case I really didn't
have the time or interest to investigate the root issue (gotta choose
your battles with Gentoo, sometimes ;-) ), so I just switched everything
to the jdk (which works fine, despite being only 1.4.2, when some apps I
use recommend 1.5.0+), uninstalled the jre (I had previously
unmerged/masked the blackdown jre when I installed Sun's) and went on
with my week (last week, I think this was). Haven't noticed any issues
with having done so; web browsers seem to work, as well as what
java-based apps I use.

So I admit I don't know what the problem is, and I also concede that it
probably shouldn't be happening (as you say), but I confirm that Mark's
original issue does seem to be real and that is the workaround/hack I
used to bypass it when I encountered it.

However, any "real" Java users/developers might find it is inappropriate
and I make no guarantees that it is. It's just what worked for me,
because I didn't like that error at all-- though I don't necessarily
think that it was fatal or even critical or that I would have had
"problems" had I just let it stand and used the Sun jre as the system vm
(after all, what do I do as root with Java? Nothing, afaik).

Holly