On Dec 19, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 17:23 -0600, John Jolet wrote:
On Dec 19, 2005, at 4:31 PM, kashani wrote:

Michael Sullivan wrote:
I've gotten my named server working like I want it to, except that
computers outside my network can't see it.  I've opened up port 53
on my
router so that extra-network hosts could use it, but they still
can't.
I'm not running a firewall on my server box as far as I know.  How
can I
find what's causing this?

if you are going to open up ports on your router, I would STRONGLY
suggest you go ahead and set up some iptables rules on your server.
Just 16+ years of sysadmin paranoia talking....

What ever you did in the last 5 minutes seems to have fixed it as
an nmap against your box showed no DNS ports open originally and
now it does.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ dig @espersunited.com www.espersunited.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.espersunited.com.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.espersunited.com.   10800   IN      CNAME
bullet.espersunited.com.
bullet.espersunited.com. 10800  IN      A       192.168.1.2

kashani
-- gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list

The router provides my firewall.  I already have ports open for sshd,
www, smtp, ftp, pop3, and imap.  Why would I need another firewall on
the PC itself?

a little thing we like to call defense in depth. you firewall at the perimeter, and you firewall at the hosts, or between the layers. this prevents a compromise of an internal host from cascading.