Philip Webb wrote:
Yes, a short turn with another distro soon reminds how good Gentoo is.

A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to update the OS in my back-up machine,
which had Mandrake 10.0 (early 2004) working adequately when needed
& is too slow & infrequently used to install Gentoo.
[snip]

"How about Kubuntu?" -- I don't like Gnome, so didn't want Ubuntu -- ,
so I got the CD, installed & booted the system.  First,
[snip]

A little off topic, but I'm also a non-Gnome guy and I have had pretty good luck with the free version of Xandros on a P3 450 machine that I really only care about browsing the web, listening to audio, or playing simple games on. I don't know how "politically incorrect" Xandros is, but it seems to work pretty well.