John J. Foster wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:41:51PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What options are out there?

My personal favorite is
app-crypt/gnupg

Aye, I keep website user info and passwords in text files with the contents encrypted with GNUPG. Each website gets its own text file. The big advantage is that backup is dead easy, and since the files are plain text you could even print them out to hard copy for backups. In addition, the files are only decrypted long enough for me to get at the information (typically to copy-paste a password into a web form).

The main trick with GNUPG is to securely store your private key and keyphrase, and make sure that you have backup copies of the private keys in offsite locations.

I've also used GNUPG to encrypt backup tar files using a dedicated public key as they get written to a backup device. (Rather CPU intensive.) That way, restoration requires use of the private key to restore the file.