On Tuesday 20 December 2005 17:45, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about
'[gentoo-user]  More on mbr':
> How can I get a real eyes on look at what is in the MBR.  I'm trying
> this:
>
>   dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr.img bs=512 count=1
>
> I thought maybe it could be mounted so:

Just how much of a filesystem do you think you can fit in 512 bytes?
(Hint: this email is probably more than 512 bytes.)

> Any one know what
> should be in there exactly and how to view it?

Have you tries using od or a hex editor?  The mbr is mostly binary data
used by the bios to locate the right disk offset, read it into memory and
start executing it.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]