On Wednesday 21 December 2005 16:41, John Jolet wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Ryan Viljoen wrote:
> > I have been setting up a server with SuSe on it (dont ask why SuSe...
> > the developers of one of the apps required will only support SuSe).
> >
> > Anyway I noticed that when SuSe boots, after its gone through the boot
> > runlevel it switches to runlevel 5 and loads up kdm while completing
> > runlevel 3. Now this is great cause you can login and such assuming
> > you dont have any network dependent login services (NIS and NFS
> > shares).
> >
> > So I was wondering if this was possible with Gentoo. Its not as simple
> > as adding xdm to the boot runlevel. dont worry I tried...
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> it's loading things in parallel.  I believe I saw something on this
> list last week about gentoo being able to do that...seems it was
> masked, though...

must be this

# /etc/conf.d/rc: Global config file for the Gentoo RC System

# Set to "yes" if you want the rc system to try and start services
# in parallel for a slight speed improvement.

RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no"

--
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
 17:03:45 up  6:23,  5 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.21, 0.28