Eugene Rosenzweig wrote:
2005/12/24, Mike Markowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[...] I tried an "emerge -uD world" but get:

  Calculating world dependencies |
  emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-java/sun-j2sdk".
  (dependency required by "sys-libs/db-4.2.52_p2-r1" [ebuild])

I had a look at /usr/portage/sys-libs/db/db-4.2.52_p2-r1.ebuild and in there the dependencies are:
DEPEND="tcltk? ( >=dev-lang/tcl-8.4 )
       java? ( virtual/jdk )"
RDEPEND="tcltk? ( dev-lang/tcl )
       java? ( virtual/jre )"

I then located the /var/cache/edb/virtuals and in there I got:
virtual/jre dev-java/blackdown-jdk
virtual/jdk dev-java/blackdown-jdk

I have gotten rid of blackdown recently and I have sun-jdk and sun-jre-bin installed. They provide the virtual/jdk and virtual/jre.

I have sys-libs/db-4.2.52_p2-r1 installed but with -java. I tried 'USE=java emerge -vp db' and it did recognize that I have java installed already. I tried 'USE=java emerge -evp db' to see which java it would install and amongst the packages was sun-jdk-1.5.0.06 which is how I got my masking set up.

Maybe if you re-emerge db your problem will disappear? Could it be in your virtuals file? Can it be your profile? Mine is:
$ ls -ld /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 Aug 11 01:38 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1

I dont fully understand how virtuals work but maybe any of this is can be of help.

Eugene.

Thanks very much, Eugene!, and all others who offered helpful hints. My make.profile pointed to 2005.0 (now updated to -> 2005.1), but probably of more consequence is that I do have +java set. You are right that a re-emerge does the trick as long as I used the -O flag to avoid complaints and bail out by emerge. An "emerge -uDO world" is correcting things package by package. I'm currently waiting on openoffice to complete (oof!), but if the trend continues I'll be in good shape again shortly.

Thanks once more!  I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas Day.

Mike