Hello everybody,

Have a Samsung YH-820, 5-gig USB iPod-like music
player. It shows up in lsusb and dmesg.

sfdisk lists four empty partitions. Each one starts at
cylinder 0 but the last cylinder line just has three
dashes '---'. The <c,h,s> part indicates 0 cyls, 64
sects, 32 secs/track. O cyls? That's not right,
surely.

At the end of all this info is:

'read: input/output error-cannot read sector 0' and
'unrecognized partition table type'

An attempt at dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512
count=1 found no such address.

mkdosfs -F16 -I /dev/sdb resulted in 'Attempting to
create a too large filesystem'

Attempts to mount the thing result in 'can't read
superblock'

Each of these commands take about 10 mins to complete.
Seems way to long to me, and I have a fairly fast
system w/1 G RAM, but this is my first experience with
these types of devices.

Is is time to give up, tell the owner he needs a new
HD?

-mw