Now it's a struggle...

  1) Main machine, AMD64K8 3000+ (running 32-bit mode).  Used to be able
to plug in and mount external USB drives and memory cards in the card
reader.  Now the mount command has to be issued twice, or sometimes even
an "fdisk /dev/sdb", in order to wake up the card reader.  My
"shirtpocket" drive no longer works on the machine, and neither does the
big bulky external USB drive.

  2) Emergency backup machine, 6-year-old Dell, 450 mhz PIII (they don't
build them like that any more).  USB drives used to run (well, with USB
v1.1, "crawl" might be more accurate) on that machine.  The big bulky
external one still does.  The "shirtpocket" drive doesn't.  I normally
store it in my safety deposit box as my "offsite backup".

  I can still backup my main machine to the big USB drive by attaching
it to the emergency machine and scp stuff to a temporary directory on
the Dell, and then mount the USB drive and copy from the temporary
directory at "blazing" USB v1.1 speed.

  I doubt that I had simultaneous failures in one machine's USB system
and the shirtpocket USB drive.  Anyone have any ideas?  Has USB setup
changed somehow?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca