Stroller schreef:

> On 26 Dec 2005, at 20:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:46:55 +0100, Peper wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I do know that and that's why i proposed a new solution for
>>> this - emerge would handle showing license and user will accept
>>> or  decline it. If user accepts fetching starts...
>>

>> Which would almost certainly break Sun's licence, they want to see
>> you agree to the licence. The best emerge could do would be to load
>> the relevant page in your browser, where you could jump through
>> whatever hoops the licence requires.
>

> I thought emerge did something like this for some of the games
> packages... I thought it displayed the whole text of the license and
>  requires the reader to accept before continuing.

Yes, it does; but those I have encountered (Quake 4, for example)
require you to have already bought the game to even install it (insofar
as you're unlikely to install a game you can't run, because the game
data files must be transferred from the CD, and the serial number from
the game box must be entered before you can play).

Since you have already bought the game the license is displayed via the
install script, just as it would be displayed by the Windows installer
before installation proceeded. But afaik, the displayed license is a
part of the install script (which in the case of Quake 4, is provided by
id, not by gentoo), not a part of emerge /per se/. The same thing
happens, iirc, with the Flash installer, which is why you have to
install it via the command line when installing manually or under
another distro-- the developer-provided install script (which is what's
contained in the *.rpm, basically an rpm install just unpacks the script
then runs it) requires that the license be accepted before the script
will proceed with the install, and if for whatever reason you're not
installing from the command line (for example, SuSE users using the
YAST/Konqueror integration and clicking the "install with YAST" button
with the *.rpm selected in a Konq window) the app will not install,
because you cannot accept the licence (because you can't see it, not
having a term window open), and therefore the install script does not run.

But as Neil said, this is not the same situation as with Sun and IBM (or
Transgaming), who require you to specifically, personally, authenticate
yourself *to /their/ servers* prior to downloading the binary /from/
their servers. Which emerge cannot do (authenticate each individual user
to the relevant server and then download the binary on the basis of that
authentication).

Holly