On 12/28/05, Marco Calviani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>    i would like to know if the x11-drm ebuild, as of now
> (x11-drm-20051223), supports the r300 and r350 ATI video cards.

I tried to get the r300 driver working on my system a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately my PCIe Mobility X600 is not supported yet, so I never
got anything working.  You need a 2.6.15 kernel, modular X.org 7, and
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati.

As for the list of cards supported:

1. Run "lspci" to identify the slot of your adapter:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Tech...

2. Run "lspci -n -s <slot>" to get the vendor and card ID:

carcharias rjf # lspci -n -s 03:00.0
03:00.0 0300: 1002:3150

>From the above, the vendor ID is 0x1002, and the card ID is 0x3150.

3. In the kernel sources, look at drivers/char/drm/drm_pciids.h to see
if the vendor and card ID appears in the table.  If it does, your card
is "supported", and might actually work.  An example line from this
table is:

        {0x1002, 0x4E47, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, CHIP_R300}, \

The first two numbers are the vendor and card IDs.

> In particular what is the best open source configuration for such a
> card and xorg (6.8.2)?

For open source, you should use the radeon driver:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "X600"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "RV350 [Mobility Radeon X600]"
EndSection

-Richard