Neil Bothwick schrieb:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:44:09 -0600, John Jolet wrote:
>
>> > tar outputs to stdout be default, so "-f -" is redundant, as is the
>> > use
>> > of dd. All you need is
>> >
>> > ssh hostname tar cf /source/path >backup.tar.gz
>> >
>> hmm, I'm not sure this behavior is consistent across all versions of
>> tar and all versions of ssh.
>
> The part about stdout being the default is consistent,

No, it's not. By default, tar writes to a tape device.

> To maintain consistency across ssh versions, it may be safer to
> use
>
> ssh >backup.tar.gz hostname "tar cf /source/path"

Uh?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /tmp $ ssh > t server "tar cf /tmp/."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

Ah, You wanted to leave out the "f" :)

But why should 'ssh > backup.tar hostname "tar c /source/path"'
be more consistent across *SSH* versions than
'ssh hostname "tar c /source/path" > backup.tar'?
Isn't that just a question wrt. the shell?

Alexander Skwar