On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:54:06 -0600, Dale wrote:

> I read a thread that was talking about the global USE pulling some
> things a user may not want installed.

That's why you can change USE flags on a per-package basis,
in /etc/portage/package.use.

> I am going to do a reinstall and
> mostly copy some things over from my current install but I do want to
> change my USE line.

There's no need to reinstall for this. Change your USE flags and do
"emerge -uavDN world". To re-emerge anything affected by the changes.
Then do "emerge -a depclean" to remove packages that are no longer needed.

> I am a bit worried about using the option they
> posted, the "-*" at the beginning of the USE line.  I may disable
> something that I need then.

You will also disable, and never know about, any new or changed USE
flags. USE="-*..." is not a good idea for general use.

Incidentally, you can see which USE flags are set, including defaults,
with "emerge --info".

--
Neil Bothwick

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great
ordeal of meeting me is another matter. - Sir Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)