Jason Stubbs schreef:
> On Saturday 31 December 2005 21:57, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> If you look at  the output
>>

>>> [nomerge      ]     sys-libs/db-4.2.52_p2-r1  -bootstrap +doc
>>> +java -nocxx +tcltk
>>
>> the reason db is calling for java is because you have the "java"
>> USE flag set for db.
>>
>> Do you really need db to use Java? If not, disable the flag (# echo
>>  'sys-libs/db -java'  >>/etc/portage/package.use); problem solved.
>

> All the way up until the next package which depends on java. Only the
>  first package that is came across is listed as the parent.
> sys-libs/db doesn't call for any specific version of java. The
> complaint is that sun-jdk-1.5 is installed but emerge is wanting to
> install sun-jdk-1.4. This indicates that sun-jdk-1.5 is likely
> masked.

Well that's all true, Jason, but my point was that this is an *option*,
not a hard dependency, and many times people have USE flags enabled for
things they don't even need (or need for the specific program).

So Kevin certainly could unmask sun-jdk 1.5 --and if it's installed, then
how did that happen without it being unmasked? Sun-jdk-1.5 is
hard-masked! The original post does not say that any version of the jdk
is actually installed:

> Anyway, my latest emerge world failed because of sun-jdk-1.4.2.10
> (!!!).  The current one is 1.5 something.

Meaning (to me) that Kevin is referring to the current *available*
*version* of sun-jdk, not to any version he might have installed (and my
impression is that he does not in fact have any version of sun-jdk
installed), and he's just concerned that an "out-of-date" version will
be installed rather than the latest.

But if he doesn't need java support in the db at all, then disabling the
USE flag entirely (globally or for this package alone), then java won't
be called by the emerge of db, which saves having to unmask a package
that Kevin may have concerns about installing in the first place if he
runs stable, or even unstable-- sun-jdk-1.5 *is* hard-masked, after all,
and one should rightfully think twice and then think again about
installing a hard-masked package-- and secondly does not install bloat
onto the system (if he doesn't need java support in db, then he has no
reason to install it, or spend the extra compile time installing db java
support).

I've often solved similar issues on my own system by the simple
expedient of disabling the USE flag that was calling the dependency that
was giving me a problem. Helps keep the system clean.

Holly